Click for an article/video summary
12 minutes 50 seconds
Artist website: http://www.ledzeppelin.com
What makes this video great and what can you learn from it?
- interesting mix of Rock and authentic Egyptian instruments
- even longer version of an already epic-length track
What can you learn from the article?
- what DADGAD tuning is about
- how a musical drone can tie a chord progression together
- how leaving space can add "weight" to what you play
- how polyrhythms between instruments create rhythmic tension
Takeaway: Kashmir is the definitive Led Zeppelin song. The addition of Egyptian instruments adds considerably to the "exotic" mood and feel of the song. Additionally, there's the use of musical drones, polyrhythms and DADGAD tuning.
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes 21 seconds
According to singer Robert Plant, Kashmir is the definitive Led Zeppelin song. Guitarist Jimmy Page also considers Kashmir as one of the band's best compositions.
They might be somewhat biased - but I agree with them. 😉
The song originally appeared on the 1975 "Physical Graffiti" album. And despite its epic length of more than 8 minutes Kashmir managed to get decent radio airplay.
Let's analyze a few of the key components of the song...Continue Reading...